September 4th marked the one year anniversary of my arrival in Los Angeles. I hated the city during my first week due to the intense heat wave, empty apartment, and general unfamiliarity. Eventually I grew to appreciate the city, although I still pined for New York. But somehow along the way, LA burrowed its way into my heart and is now the only place I want to be. Here are my top 14 moments (in no particular order) from my first year in LA.
1. Rainstorm pool party during a monsoon-like weekend at the end of February.
2. Eating ramen by moonlight at a secret restaurant in the middle of the desert.
3. Wine tasting and sunset driving in Malibu after skipping out of work early on a Friday afternoon.
4. Playing hooky from work after two epic weekends of Coachella to get a massage, get my car washed, eat frozen yogurt, and nap in a hammock at the top of a hill overlooking the valley.
5. The Tensnake warehouse party.
6. Local Natives at the Greek Theater.
7. A Clean Bandit 2am kitchen dance party on a Sunday night after seeing Robyn + Royksopp at the Hollywood Bowl.
8. The WeHo double decker bus party.
9. Chasing the most epic sunset of all time down the PCH.
10. Watching Fourth of July fireworks explode over our heads at Cinespia in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
11. Being a VIP audience member on The Price Is Right and getting a backstage tour after the show.
12. The Holi color festival.
13. A surprise date to the Magic Castle.
14. A beach bonfire in the middle of winter on Huntington Beach.
Thanks for an amazing first year, LA.